PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Distraction in flight
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2009, 10:32
wsmempson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1st a/c (a 13,000hr pa28 140) caused me one or two interesting moments.

Once, on climb-out from Caen, the door sprang open and my passport, flightplan, plog and chart were sucked straight out of the aircraft into the English channel. Since then, I have become neurotic about checking that the door is positively latched.

The second incident was a regular, loud, drumming sound that developed halfway down the VFR recommended route between SAM and MP, and persisted until touchdown at Cherbourg. Upon exiting the aircraft, after the longest 20 minutes of my life, I discovered that the noise had been caused by a narrow ribbon of mastic - that had been used some years previously to seal one of the side windows - which had come loose, and was slapping on the side of the fuselage. A happily prosaic cause, to a sweaty moment.

The 3rd incident was not the fault of the aircraft at all, as what I had initially thought of as an in-flight radio failure (the display of my KX155 suddenly went blank) proved to have been caused by my donning a pair of smart looking polarising sunglasses....