PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2009, 03:14
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it should be 'fixed' because it is doing what it is designed to do! A failure of an automatic system should not be the cause of an aeroplane crashing. Pilots are there to ultimately handle the aeroplane. People forget that automatics are merely an aid to assist the pilot. The pilot should ensure the automatics work as required and any failure of the automatics is handled correctly. It is beyond human ability to create a system as complex as aeroplane automatics that is not subject to a myriad of possible failures. In the final analysis, no pilot should be unable to contend with a failure of any part of the automatics. This was unforgivable, negligence in the extreme. These failures happen everyday, all the time. Sometimes the automatics don't behave as planned or expected. So? You are still there to fly the plane.....aviate!

There is a tendency nowadays to keep the automatics in, even when the response is not as anticipated. You are criticised in the sim or on checks if you disconnect when the behaviour of the automatics is unexpected. I come from a generation of pilots where automatics were unreliable- we don't have a lot of patience when they go wrong and hit the disconnect button and aviate manually. A lot of younger pilots sit there with the aeroplane behaving odd and mumble 'what's it doing now?', and just watch a situation develop. I have to jog them sometimes with a discrete hint: 'why don't you just disconnect the damn thing and FLY IT? Who cares a flying f what it's doing- it's not doing what YOU WANT, mate!' As automatics become more complex, the 'paralysis' of watching, in a sort of cobra-like trance, automatics misbehave without actually doing anything about it is getting more of a problem.