PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2009, 01:59
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transonic Transitions

I think he's straight out saying just that. A Mach encounter due to speed sneaking up to the high side unobserved could lead to a pilot mistaking its characteristics for stall buffet and lowering the nose, further embedding in a Mach tuck pitch-down. Some of those Boeing examples demonstrate how easy it is to mistake symptoms. Disorientation after a Mach Crit encounter inducing a loss-of-control could easily lead to a nose high/stall entry type situation.
Ok, lets follow that line of thought a bit further. The nose starts to tuck as trim limits are reached (because of the shifting center of pressure on the wing as you go transonic) and the nose starts to fall, altitude starts to unwind quickly and the crew reacts by reducing power and deploying speed brakes. Assuming they are successful in arresting the plunge, what is the next thing they would encounter? It would be a transonic pitch up as they decelerate (caused by the center of pressure moving back to its normal subsonic positon) as all the nose up trim makes itself felt. Say the aircraft bottomed at FL 250 while pulling maximum permitted g, and just below M Crit. In an F-4 for example, this type of transition to subsonic could cause a 50% 'g' overshoot because it happens very quickly. Can the Airbus G protection mitigate this 'g' spike quickly enough to keep the wings from breaking (while in alternate law and with an aft cg)?
Would the wings stay on? I don't know since I don't have enough aircraft data, but if the wings did stay on, then you would probably soon find the nose pretty high in the air since the crew would be unlikely to have the presence of mind to drop a wing. Then you could get into a deep stall very quickly. But, can the critical Mach recovery even be made in alternate law?
On the face of it, the foregoing scenario doesn't pass the Occam's razor test.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor Why not a simple deceleration into a stall with heavy turbulence and a cockpit full of warning lights as a distraction? It seems to fit the event time line better.