PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 20th Sep 2009, 23:00
spanner the cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take it the dyed in the wool hand-jobbers on this thread would be against a pilot new on type using the automatics as much as possible for their first 6 months on-type. If it's their first large airline type, the chances are they'll have done plenty of hand flying thus far but not a lot of using the automatics to best effect - and it's important that they do consolidate in that area.

This whole thing is a matter of balance. The airline I work for says that all pilots should keep themselves in practice to operate the airplane at any level of automation ie, no automatics to full autoland. The rider on that is that you use a level of automation to suit the anticipated or actual workload - it being assumed that your workload will probably (but not necessarily) go down when using the automatics.

Personally, I like to hand fly. I like it when the skipper hand flys (practice those PM/PNF skills so they don't atrophy either). And if the automatics aren't doing what is required, disconnect everything and put it where you want it. It's not rocket science.

As to how the perceived loss of skill is managed in a long haul operation where there are so few sectors to go round is a tricky one. The accountants will almost certainly have the loudest voice and will win in the short term...... Better get the autopilot in then.

Spanner