PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bringing home the crew of KL654.
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2009, 20:32
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Warmtoast, my Dad is buried in the CWGC Cemetery at Yokohama having died as a POW in Japan. I have visited his grave in what is, like Trincomalee, an immaculate cemetery. As has been said, if these remains had been recovered shortly after the accident they would surely have been buried in the nearest CWGC Cemetery and hence amongst their contemporaries. It is now part of my family heritage that my dad is buried where he is and why, which one day I hope to explain to my grandchildren when they are old enough to understand. The sadness of these places is palpable, far more so than a UK civil cemetery or even a war memorial. They serve to remind us of the terrible price that war exacts. If I were the NoK I might hope that the crew of KL654 could contribute to that message for future generations, by carrying out a last duty "on parade" in those unmistakably military serried rows, just as my father does.
Cockney Steve:
It never fails to amaze me that people will sign -up voluntarily to serve such a despicable, morally-bankrupt organisation as the MOD.
They don't. They serve their Queen and Country, not a Government Department!