PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does an IPC have to be done with an FAA instructor?
Old 20th Sep 2009, 16:10
sapperkenno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much is this guy charging CT?

I'd have probably done it for nothing, as a CFII. You certainly don't need an examiner. The intricacies of the UK ANO would seem to put paid to the idea of an FAA CFI/II flying with you and logging dual given/PIC in a G-reg if he/she holds no JAA Instructor Rating... but if they (JAA/CAA) don't know about it, then as far as the FAA are concerned it follows their rules/regs and gets the job done. The CAA are protecting their own interests, and stopping any Tom, Dick or Hussein with foreign ratings taking business away from JAA trained guys, so nothing wrong in that. But, if you'd have asked around, or knew the right kind of people, you could have sorted something out with a CFII, and done what needed doing. All above board as far as the FAA care. Screw the robbing bastards at the CAA.

so really all you are paying for is the endorsement at the end of the day. The CFII cannot give the endorsement without one completing a required training syllabus - to do so they would put their CFII ticket on the line - but however it is completed I don't see the FAA caring too much.
If someone is charging simply to write an endorsement in your logbook, they are a cheeky swine and should be ashamed. Sure they may want a bit of money towards travelling to meet you and planning/conducting the IPC (I'd be happy just with the experience) but these places/people charging £30-£50 to write an endorsement aren't doing anyone a favour, and people wouldn't last 5 minutes trying that in the States. I don't know what you are referring to about the "required training syllabus". If you mean conducting the test as per the Instrument PTS, it's not really training, just a demonstration of the pilot to meet the IPC requirements. I personally wouldn't turn up and expect to conduct an IPC with someone I didn't know in one session, but it would be possible. And you're right, the CFII would be responsible should a person he/she endorsed make a mess of things somewhere down the line. So, it's not something to be taken lightly, or as a way of making easy money. Still doesn't justify charging for it (purely for the endorsement) though.

I'm with englishal... it doesn't necessarily "fit-in" with the ANO, but it certainly does with the FAA way of doing things. If it was taken to court we might finally get a good answer, instead of speculating. Maybe someone should ask AOPA or something? There was a thread on here somewhere, and the answer from Oklahoma was that, yes, Flight reviews and IPC's can be done in foreign registered aircraft, providing the pilot's were FAA rated and were current (recency of experience and medical) to fly. This came about as the FAR's do not mention using an N-reg aircraft at all.

If you were to ask the CAA, they would point you to the ANO (article 26 I think) and make excuses. Obviously, us FAA guys shouldn't go breaking laws and bending the rules, as it does nothing for the bad attitude that many JAA people (who don't understand the FAA system) have towards the FAA way of doing things. Also, we don't want to be undercutting people who've spent thousands doing silly ATPL exams and JAA ratings by flying G-reg's and taking work away from them, especially if they are dual rated. But, as there are no definite answers, and we are dealing with FAA certificate holders, there is nothing in our FAR/AIM to hold us back, or any references saying that a foreign countries rules/regs override the FAA ones.

If you're flying on an FAA certificate, you are under the FAR's.

Let us know how you get on "contacttower", and what the dual-rated examiner's view is on this.

I cannot see why an FAA CFII cannot do an IPC in a G-reg.
- I can't either... I might just do one for the laugh and see what the CAA do to me.

And another thing... I regularly fly with my mates here in the right-seat of various G-reg airplanes, I also fly a nice little aerobatic jobby, and take my mates for a jolly in that. I don't log anything when they log P1, and likewise, when I'm P1 (PIC in my logbook), they don't. In the first instance; They log P1, I am a passenger. I may have a little fly too, and demo some manoeuvres, give tips etc. I don't log this here in the UK, as apparently I cannot. If I was back in America, we'd both be logging the PIC quite happily, and when we go fly aerobatics, they would get some instruction, and dual time, even if they don't have complex/high perf/tailwheel endorsements... we'd both get something out of it. Over here, this isn't possible. What a load of nonsense.

I'm not in it just to build hours, as when I flew in the US, my flight school (where I rented from) only allowed their instructors to instruct in their airplanes... so, as a CFI when I flew my mates, and could have logged time, I didn't. My loss I guess, but I'm not one for upsetting people.

It's all very sad actually, as I believe (as do many others) that for GA flying (even here in the UK) the FAA system is superior to the JAA one, and the instrument rating far more "usable", and attainable (no numerous silly written exams) should people want to go down that route. It is a system designed with safety in mind, and in the knowledge that people will use their training in anger in light airplanes.

To get back to the point though, the issue is only with the CAA here in the UK, and the rules concerning their airspace/aircraft. It even covers N-reg too, so no, you can't have full privileges in one of those over here either. The FAA don't care. Or rather, they "may" care, but nothing in their rules/regs reflect this... so interpret that how you want... and expect that it probably wouldn't stand up in court!