PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Is the worst of the Global Financial Crisis behind us?
Old 20th Sep 2009, 15:34
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gnadenburg
Just one property in Sydney? Forex gambled with just a "great chunk" of your loan and not the lot?

You are a very conservative investor. Good luck to you. But many pilots would have left you behind this cycle without the benefit of your "financial education" and dogged research.

How is your Hong Kong property fairing? From what I read dogged research would not have have picked the current market gains.
Apart from the places I live in I don’t invest in residential property. The returns quite frankly are crap to my other investments and tenants give me the sh*ts. My parents before they retired had numerous residential investment properties and they got rid of all of them because of the problems they were having with tenants and the lack of legal protection afforded to landlords in most states.

Forex trading has been very good to me. I average a 15 - 20% return most years. Last year it was almost 45% which I used to pay down debt in Australia.

Yes I am a conservative investor and I plan to stay that way by investing my own money and not the banks. I have a number of rules with investing sensibly. My number one rule is if you can’t afford to loose it, you can’t afford the investment. My number two rule is if you don’t understand the investment and the risk associated with that investment stay away.

If some pilots leave me behind, good on them. I couldn’t care less. I don't take pilots financial advise and never will. I dance to my own tune. As long as I am comfortable and in good health and am providing well for my retirement with a sensible balance of investments then I am happy.