PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 20th Sep 2009, 12:25
BitMoreRightRudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm firmly in the use it or lose it camp. Flying the boeing it wasn't such a problem, but flying the Airboos I take every chance I get to turn everything off and actually fly the thing (or as close as you can get to "flying" in normal law).

I'm a co-pilot, so I rely on the boss to positively encourage turning off the automation, when appropriate. It is pleasing that at least 50% of captains I fly with are always prompting their F/Os' to take the opportunity to handfly. The other 50% are either completely against it or look incredibly worried when it is brought up in the brief that it is a good day for a visual approach.

I wouldn't criticise the latter 50%, it's not my place to do so and they sign the tech log so the automatics stay in, end of story. I think they are missing something however, and it is no coincidence that in my experience, it is the chaps who point blank refuse a visual or the use of manual thrust who generally react in something approaching mild panic when something goes wrong, particularly with the automation. Just disconnecting everything and putting the aircraft where you want it doesn't seem to enter their heads.

In short, relying entirely on the automatics apart from a six monthly jaunt in a hydraulic box isn't going to make you a "safer" pilot. Each to their own.