PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Onur Air - man june ?
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2009, 05:42
Rusland 17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dicksorchard
Just met up with an old friend who was onboard above Onur Air flight and she said that the aircraft aborted landing and did a go around and when it did land it landed very heavy and was all over the runway...
Go-arounds and heavy landings often go hand-in-hand, because the initial aborted landing is often due to gusty conditions on the ground that will still exist when the second attempt at landing is made. Aborted landings can be a bit scary for passengers who have never experienced one before but, as smala01 says, they are quite normal - I now experience an average of one every 4-6 weeks when arriving at London City airport. The captain does not have time to explain to the passengers why he is suddenly climbing steeply again, which heightens their anxiety, but will probably do so while coming around to try again.

Even as a frequent flyer who is familiar with aborted landings, I don't like them very much and they make me apprehensive. But only because I know that the final approach and touchdown is likely to be a bit bumpy.