PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai / UAE
Thread: Dubai / UAE
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2009, 18:36
The Jolly Roger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello WestAus,

Just saw your thread mate so I'll answer your questions as best I can.

The ACC is in Abu Dhabi. Just moved into the new Sheikh Zayed Centre in July. It is the only Area centre in the country. Others in the region are Bahrain, Oman (Muscat to be precise who are also recruiting right now), and Doha which is APP/TWR only.

Two companies provide the service. Primarily the GCAA and then SERCO. GCAA contract SERCO to provide a certain number of controllers and Engineers at the Centre. GCAA and SERCO packages differ slightly. At the end of the day, if you are with GCAA you have more money in your pocket at the end of the month. I won't go into the details here. Packages are generally all inclusive plus Medical benefits. GCAA hav capped their housing allowance at 150kAED per year paid in two installments. SERCO give you an allowance up to 200kAED per year, both deducted from salary. It seems a lot but rents have been decreasing here and will decrease further over time. GCAA offer bonuses to their staff, I think twice yearly (open to correction), equal to one months basic salary. Us SERCO dogs don't get that one!!! (hint hint!!!). Lifestyle is great and I certainly won't be leaving here anytime soon.

If you have kids, you must cough up a stupid amount of money for schooling. It varies between abou 18k per year per child in Dubai and Au Dhabi to around 60k pere year per child. Maybe even more. (Can't advise on this one bud as I'm still a fan of Durex!!!!!)

Overall the work is great and you'll really enjoy yourself here as long as you can put aside all the things that will make you itch and scream.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. I'll do me best.

Now back to the beach.......