PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Down on Melbourne Beach
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2009, 16:30
diethelm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During a training session a very good instructor wanted to demonstrate how to recover from a very similar situation.

Up to about 3500 AGL and into a OGE hover. He starts a spin to the right rolls down the throttle, RPM starts rapidly going away and asks me to recover

Fortunately he has me do it with him the first time. Down goes the collective, gentle on the pedals to prevent bouncing off the stops. RPM comes up, spinning slows to a stop, push forward and off you go in less than 500 feet. Next exercise, demonstrate that you can autorotate straight down and do pedal turns. The main point of his instruction is to relax and not to over do control inputs.

Young instructors can clearly get you through. They can even explain things on paper and watch videos of accidents. Older experienced instructors can show you simple things in difficult environments, combine them and then throw in a curve or two so that when these things happen, you as calmly as possible can deal with them. This guy was a master at this and every chance I could get I would have him take me out and make me sweat.