PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian Overflights by RAF Crews during the "Cold War"
Old 19th Sep 2009, 07:49
Heimdall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kapustin Yar

VIProds,

I'm delighted to find another individual interested in clarifying exactly whether the overflight of Kapustin Yar ever took place. I assume that you have used my article at The Spyflight Website as part of your source material.

Chris Pocock, the aviation journalist and U-2 expert, has probably done more research into the Kapustin Yar overflight than anyone else, including numerous visits to the National Archives where he searched through dozens of de-classified files looking for positive evidence that the sortie took place. Chris has published his findings and conclusion at:The Overflight of Kapustin Yar and Operation Robin

If you haven’t done so already you will see from reading the article that, despite the many references to the sortie in American publications, no official confirmation that the sortie ever took place has been found in any de-classified MOD files. Cargill Hall’s article on Pre-U-2 Cold War Overflights probably contains the most detail on the Kapustin Yar mission, yet it is still not proved possible to confirm the details quoted by cross-reference to any de-classified documents. Just as importantly no individual involved in the sortie has ever publically admitted taking part.

You mention that WH726 was flown to Hanscom Field to have the 100inch camera fitted in 1953. Can you clarify the source for this trip and the date, because as far as I know, the only date that can be positively confirmed is when the 240inch bomb camera was fitted to WH726 in March 1954.

Also the date you quote for the overflight, 28 Aug 53, is very specific, and I assume you believe that the crew of WH726 who undertook the flight on 27th Aug, Wg Cdr Freddie Ball, Sqn Ldr Don Kenyon and Sgt Jim Brown were the crew that made the Kapustin Yar overflight? Yet in the 540 Sqn ORB the sorties undertaken on 28 Aug 53 by these two aircraft are shown as only lasting 2hrs. I haven’t researched what medals they ended up when they finally retired, but this may give a clue.

The quoted use of Giebelstadt for the start of the sortie is very unusual, particularly as Akrotiri or Incirlick and even a base in Iran would have been much closer and an entry point into the USSR from the south would have encountered far less radar coverage. I think the use of Giebelstadt may be directly linked to the use of an American camera – mounting the sortie from there probably allowed the camera to be given a final once-over and calibrated by American technicians before the sortie took place.

Like you I also believe the crew of WH726 did undertake the overflight some time in the late summer of 1953, but given the secrecy and classification involved, no record would have been made in the ORB and it’s clear from the investigations undertaken by Chris Pocock that any reference to the flight has been very effectively expunged from de-classified files from this period. Sadly I suspect the actual file on this sortie was destroyed many years ago, so perhaps the best solution is to fall back on the Scottish legal judgement of ‘Not Proven’ until more positive confirmation eventually emerges.

I wish you every success in your forthcoming presentation and if you wish to use some of the photos in my article for your forthcoming presentation, or I can assist you in any other way, just let me know.

Heimdall