PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Commands TOGA; A320 lands anyway
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2001, 21:39
Brad737

frederic
Your post tags you as an extremely technically oriented person. You are well spoken. Your argument, however, is flawed.
I would take issue with your contention that this "direct law" button would lead to abuse. Professional Pilots rarely find themselves in such a position as to require the overuse of this button, we see to it that these situations do not occure with regularity. That's what experience is for.
Secondly, if I were to push this button, thus denying myself of "programed" protection, I can state with utmost certainty that I will not snap my aircraft in two in a 3G pullup or degrade my airspeed to a stall. Anyone likely to do so does not live long enough to occupy the pointy end of a commercial aircraft.
Your post illustrates what is wrong at AirBus headquarters. You think the pilot is something to protect the public from, not a highly skilled and experienced asset to be incorporated and trusted into the cockpit. I am not anti-FBW, I think it a fantastic development. I simply demand that in a situation that I deem prudent(software anomally, unforeseen event by programmer, etc) I have the ability to bring 10,000 hours of experience into play.