PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How NOT to become a Police pilot!
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2009, 22:02
Dysfunctional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel What guys will do.

A similar story from the USA. Quite some years ago, I was offered a job here flying a Hughes 500 E. Utility work. Maintaining power lines. I got a demo ride as a pax, and we put one skid on a pole, 100 feet above the ground. With the cables at least six inches from the bubble. No biggie. The two bods in the back calmly climbed out. My eyes fell out of my head. Anyway, I gratefully declined the offer, but the employer did tell me about an experience he had earlier. He had one guy claim 2,000 hours. Up they went, with candidate flying. The boss, simulating a worker, climbed out. Then the helicopter nearly crashed. Lost control, and the boss thought they were all going to 'flame out'. Once down, somehow, they were both shaking so much, they went to a bar. Over a beer, our 2,000 hour hero admitted he had just under two HUNDRED hours, and had pencil whipped just over 1,800 rotary flight hours.
What amazed him, and me, was not so much that a dude would falsify his log book. That's crazy, and opens a person to all sorts of criminal liability down the road. But what really amazes is that a fellow would follow up his gall by attempting such a serious, serious flight, knowing he had so little experience.