PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Capt. L.V Messenger Imperial,BOAC....
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2009, 22:00
ExSp33db1rd

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Corin 100

'fraid I can't help your memories, but you've jogged mine !

I joined the Strat. fleet in 1958 as a trainee P3 / Nav. and of course knew of Buddy, tho' I never met him, that I can recall. Equally Pete was a well known name on my later rosters, but I didn't fly with him, either.

I don't recall seeing the picture of Buddy Messenger, but I do remember a similar one of another character, Capt O.P.Jones, also celebrating a number of Atlantic crossings. Don't forget that an Atl. crossing was still a notable event, it wasn't long after B.S.A.A. had lost two aircraft flying to Bermuda, and some of the Strat.Captains were given the sobriquet North Atlantic Barons as a result of their - self assumed - elevated position as Atlantic flyers !!

One once delayed the evening BOAC Stratocruiser 'Monarch' to New York, because on arrival at the old building 221 crew reporting office he found that his trousers had been taken from the locker that he had placed there, as he didn't want to travel on the bus ( only stewardesses with Middle Eastern boyfriends who bought them pink Jaguars could afford motor cars in those days ! ) looking like a concierge from the Ritz, no problem delay the service whilst he caught the bus home and back to get another pair. He did, too, and that made the Daily Mail front page ! No, of course that wasn't Buddy, but my lips are sealed !!

Happy Days.

Nice to hear of you, too, Norman !

ExSp33db1rd

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 18th Sep 2009 at 23:16.