PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Sumburgh - End Of An Era
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2009, 21:41
Phil Kemp

Location: Sussex, New Brunswick. Formerly Bowen Island B.C. Canada - one of the greatest places to live on Earth...
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Why, I'm right here sitting in the ferry line up for Bowen Island in Vancouver reading this thread!

What a sad day, truly the end of an era - and the location where so many of us started our careers and made friendships that have lasted a lifetime. It is pretty amazing to see it come to an end. I am actually quite shocked to see this news and the pictures.

I do indeed have many pictures of the 10 S61's that we picked up there and shipped out to the States. Unfortunately I don't have any with me to scan right now - if I had read this a couple of hours ago, I would have taken them out of the office with me, as I am going to be in Sumburgh next weekend. I just saw one of them (ex G-BDKI) 2 weeks ago, flying at the Sikorsky factory with a beautiful glass cockpit installed!

Some of the best pictures that were taken of that programme were by Malcolm Bradbury who worked in the tower - he had some superb images of all the goings on at LSI.

I have so many great memories of all the people that I was so fortunate to work with over the years there - of course a large number of them are still around and I get to see them every now and then.

I'll be at Helitech next week, so do stop by the Vector booth and say hi if any of the old Sumburgh crew are there. The rest I'll see in Shetland at the weekend. I might even buy the beer.

Last edited by Phil Kemp; 19th Sep 2009 at 14:28.