PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Soon to be plenty of ATCO's
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2009, 12:29
ozineurope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posted in another thread also.
From experience in WA I would guess that the percentage of the Pearce R areas actually used for flying training is about one tenth of what becomes active.

The real reason so much airspace is gazetted is because defence dont want FUA. More importantly RAAF flying dont want FUA cause they might have to follw the rules of the air!! Continuous listening watch, take ATC instructions and act on them etc etc. The west coast airspace is almost exclusively for 60 PC9s and about 160,000 movements a year. Compare that with the JT training area and the JT CTR with over 340,000 per year and you start to see the attitudes of defence and RAAF.

People leave RAAF ATC 'cause they are sick to death of being posted every 2 years, even at bases where guarantees were made about minimum length of time.

Genesis was a case in point - Pearce controllers were trained on TAAATS during the break in flying, 15 in all. But the RAAF did not want TAAATS in the tower so PEA TWR operates ADATS and Pearce CEN/APP are in TAAATS. 2 systems one base! Then after 12 months half the force are deployed/transferred so more training, lower experience levels. RAAF ATC levels are low, really low, otherwise civvies would not be doing RIC APP.

Genesis was a failure because there was no real commitment from either side to make it work how the model said it could. I know I was there.

For too long defence has held on to large quantities of airspace because squadrons told them they needed it 'to fit the mssion profile'. I sat there day after day watching A340s, B744s B717 etc doing 30 and sometimes 50 extra track miles because the next wave of 3 PC9s might get airborne. It was frustrating for the RAAF controllers and the civil controllers alike. RAAF ATC are TOLD what to do, 44WG has little influence on the amount of airspace allocated, only the procedures within it...