PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF pulling out of Fairford
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2009, 11:18
MichaelBuckle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECMO1
Croughton doesn't have anything to do with Lakenheath and Mildenhall. It is a significant comm relay point, especially for the US State Department. If the JAC at Molesworth is moved then stand by for Alconbury to close since its only mission is to support Molesworth with housing, schools, etc, etc.

Of all the beses in the UK, I would suspect Menwith Hill to be the safest, followed by Croughton, then Molesworth. There is spare room back in the states for the squadrons with aircraft.
Croughton is pretty safe at the moment, seeing as they're now the base who are now overseeing RAF Fairford.

Originally Posted by ECMO1
It is interesting that the only base in Europe equipped to handle the B-2 is being reduced in status.
Considering Fairford has only been used twice by the B-2s since it was fully equipt to take the B-2, I don't think it's that surprising - any Global Deployment is organized months before it goes ahead, so there would be plenty of time to prepare Fairford for them.

In a real time war situation, in less than 48 hours Fairford can be ready to handle them. Which I'm sure could be sped up dramaticly if it was needed.

Hopefully, Fairford in C&M won't stop future Global Power Deployments. But time will tell...