PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR flight planning and navigation software I've written
Old 18th Sep 2009, 10:36
Torque Tonight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim, great work so far. SkyAngel is taking shape really well and has potential to be a really useful bit of kit. A little feedback and a few suggestions which I hope are useful:
  • When setting up parameters for a specific aircraft you can enter fuel burns and weight and balance details. It would be handy to be able to set a default normal cruise speed and altitude in the aircraft file. I can't see a way of doing this at the moment. As someone else already mentioned, the name of the custom aircraft is not shown in the menu, just 'New Aircraft'.
  • You have many ground features on the map especially masts that cannot be selected as waypoints. I know you can right click to create a new waypoint on top of the ground feature but if the feature is worth showing on the map it is likely to be used as a turning point. It would therefore save a few nanoseconds if they were selectable as waypoints just as airfields, VRPs, navaids are.
  • When creating waypoints can we have the option of using British National Grid references as well as Lat-Long. I think there are free software components (dll's?) on the Ordnance Survey website for embedding in software like yours to convert coordinates.
  • Sometimes it would be handy to be able to select a leg to be flown at a height AGL rather than an altitude or Flight Level. Some of my legs take me from areas of high to low ground elevation and I may choose to fly at a constant height rather than altitude.
  • My password never arrived. I registered and was told that I would receve a email with a password but it never turned up (not in my spam/junk folder either). I tried to register again, and it said my email address was already registered (so it must be in the system), and that I should select the forgotten password reminder option if necessary - however I can't find this anywhere.
  • Total times and distances would be useful.
  • And finally an incredibly minor point: the filetype names are a bit clunky (.flightplan and .aircraft). Shouldn't they normally be three or four letters?
Please take these points as constructive feedback and not criticism. I thinks this is awesome so far.