PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joint civilian and miltary airspace planned for Australia
Old 18th Sep 2009, 09:00
Shot Nancy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never seen such a waste of perfectly good airspace anywhere in the world , as the MASSIVE military airspace allocations in Australia
Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't out there. Go to China for example.

I perceive a bit of military bashing here. Take the Nowra issue. I thought the RAN restricted areas off Nowra were required for their live firing and operational training. I also thought that the Nowra areas were released when not in use. Why do you want to be flying 100 miles East of Nowra anyhow? Who is going to pay to move RAAF Pearce?

One study, some time ago, showed that there was more mil. restricted airspace around Nowra/Richmond/Willi. than the whole of the US
I would say a selective study. Some exercises out of Hawaii when a large military force is involved NOTAM an area of high seas bigger than Texas. Oh but that is international water/airspace, not US eh?

I am all for the efficient use of what we have but one needs to be careful as once an airfield or arty range or piece of airspace is taken from the military it rarely goes back, transit times go up and less time on task usually results.
Dont start me on the people that move to near an artillery range that was Gazetted in the early 1900s then complain about the noise.