PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision Over New York.
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2009, 21:16
darrenphughes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was there also Rick,
It almost turned farcical several times with the accusatory questions and comments coming from both the Fixed wing and Rotorcraft sides. Thank god they managed to just about reign in the discussion before it got out of hand. Like one of the panel members said, "if the discussion devolves into a Helicopter versus Airplane one, we all lose".

Second, Teterboro tower was not able to issue Class B clearances
The vibe I was getting on that discussion was that TEB were always able to issue the Class B clearance, but that they had gotten into a mode of going out of their way to avoid it, while instructing departing traffic to avoid the Bravo. I may be wrong on that, but that's what I took from it.

There will be a 'tunnel' for lack of a better word of class B airspace above the river from 1300" MSL to 2000" MSL for traffic that wants to fly the river but stay in Class B. There will be two altitudes one at 1500' MSL and one at 2000' MSL. One altitude for Southbound and one for Northbound and because I didn't right it down I can't remember which is which.
I'm pretty sure it was 1500' Northbound and 2000' Southbound.

Local traffic is defined presently as traffic that is either landing or departing the three local heliports and the 23rd St. dock. All other traffic is considered transit and must enter above the George Washington Bridge or below the Verazono Bridge and depart the river after either of these two fixes.
Though when questioned by the very unhappy audience on the definition of "Local Traffic", It seemed that even the panel members had a fundamental disagreement on that one.

I think that they were pushed into that meeting too early by the pressure of being watched by the "Media" and politicians. They probably should have waited until they had taken the time to do a more comprehensive study and everyone involved in the final outcome were on the same page.

It was pretty funny to hear everyone rip on Senator Chuck Schumer though!!