PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Commands TOGA; A320 lands anyway
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2001, 20:02
TvB

vikingwill and all:

found this in the last AW (issue June4th, page 22):

" Airbus' revised software covering the A319/A320's automated angle-of-attack (AOA) protection is scheduled to obtain certification by the end of the month. The software now being modified was not the A320 series' original AOA protection, Airbus officials stressed. The in-service protection's software was altered two years ago when operational feedback indicated that heavy wind shear could bring aircraft too close to a stall warning. However, the modification went "slightly too far" and needed to be revised, the Airbus officials noted..."

To me this still doesn't answer what they have designed into these software programs in case of a go-around command by the crew. I believe the a/c should respond to this by all means and not contradicting or interfere with any other modes other than "climb".

I was told a go-around with an A320 would still be possible, even after touch down, but in this case you'll get a master warning (quite disturbing). Apparently this did not work in Bilbao at all, so therefore the parameteres have to be revised.

And I agree vikingwill, the original/altered certification is in question here. But I doubt that in any office of a regulatory/oversight administration we would find people qualified enough to make such a decission. Those who are capable are more likely working on the other side, in the Industry, as they get 3 to 4 times the pay there and have access to all data and design specifications (I believe some of that stuff is still considered "propriatory information" and the manufacturer will not hand it out).

Usually the governing questions in this regards are: "What is required by the certification?" and "How is the aircraft going to perform it?"

The later might become reduced to: "Can the aircraft perform as required?" Answer: "Yes" Stamp: "Approved"

TvB
(independent) aviation editor
www.aviationsafetyonline.com

[This message has been edited by TvB (edited 11 June 2001).]