PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Shawbury close to melt down
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2009, 15:30
Spot 4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO it does not go far enough. 705 should be sent back to Culdrose and 660 to supplement the Squirrel fleet already in place at Middle Wallop. Not even sure if in this day and age the single engine phase of rotary flying training is necessary, for I am sure it could all be taught from the onset on a multi engined aircraft as part of a multi-crew crew.

Before you all get on the high horse to defend 'tradition', remember that historically Rotary FTS was completed to graduate single pilot crews. This has not been so since GW1, although I believe that the junglie fleet retains this possibility. Why not move on and train a pilot with sufficient skills for a LHS (co-pilot if you want) skills in half the time who gets further (on the job) training to graduate to Captaincy at a later date. The hands on time he should get whilst occupying the LHS will serve him well later on as was pretty much proven by the sucessfull retraining of ex-Rotary Navs that are now members of the twin winged master race.

As both the RN and AAC have never subscribed to the MEARW element of RAF MFTS despite DHFS now being 12 years down the road somebody, somewhere is hanging onto the 'old way' for too long. Either the RAF should call a day to the Griffin (which FWIW does not get my vote) or the RN & AAC should prescribe to MEARW complete with (air)crewmen. I would also bin the Squirrel in toto and have a larger (joint) MEARW Sqn training everbody regardless of cap badge, & LFA 9 has its advantages in the form of real estate & community relations.