PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2009, 10:31
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said GICASI,

Indeed, it is never to late to admit one's errors - "There is great rejoicing in Heaven when a sinner repenteth .... etc".

I agree that if reputations are to be restored, then openess is definitely the way ahead. I am also certain that such action would go a long way to reconciliation and 'closure' for the families of all the deceased.

That said, I too have always had some understanding of the AM's position. The AMs had a responsibility and a military duty to our troops under fire in NI, to run an effective SH operation - but the RAF had too few aircraft because of delays in the Chinook HC2 modification programme. As a result, the AMs took the decision to bring the HC2 in to Service early. Unfortunately, the ac was palpably not definitively airworthy nor truly fit for purpose because of shortcomings in the procurement process and the overall ac design; in short, the design (mainly the engine controls) was 'immature'.

What has been almost unforgiveable, however, is the apparent avoidance by the AMs to accept responsibility for those decisions which had increased significantly the risk associated with the HC2 but without the crews' full knowledge. Ironically, if the AMs and PE had had the courage to be more honest with the crews in 1994, then I am sure those crews would still have accepted the risk of that undertaking in NI - for the sake of our troops on the ground. Furthermore, they would have been lauded for that, not pilloried as they were by the AMs in the BoI.

Such is the character and personality that is needed to get to Air Rank, then it would have been unthinkable for the AMs to admit their mistakes at that time - it would have personally disastrous and it would have cost much embarassment for the Service in the face of the other Arms. In time, however, I am certain that even such people as AMs can begin to see the irrelavence and futility of their taking such a position - to have done what they did is much, much worse in the long-term. Perhaps, at last, their consciences are pricking them?

Ultimately, a truly open acceptance of that responsibility by the AMs, along with a full apology for the veil of secrecy and duplicity which has, ever since, marked this sad and shameful episode in the history of Royal Air Force, would not only remove the slur on the names of the crew but also revive a little of the much-besmirched reputation of the AMs and even restore some honour to the name of the Service.

The door is open.

Flipster

Last edited by flipster; 17th Sep 2009 at 10:47.