PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avoiding Action: what do ATC assume?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2002, 23:10
Plane*jane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bright-Ling
CAP 717 is very useful and I was hoping for definitive, when Para 3.9 wandered off in a woolly fashion describing the airframe and configuration limitations that may explain a slow response. It doesn't seem to clarify the expectation of an expedited manoeuvre, unless I've missed something. However very interesting from the controllers point of view. My point remains in that there are pilots out there UK licensed (let's not even wander off on to those pilots who do not have English as their mother tongue) who have a mixed interpretation of the actual maneouvres required in response to "avoiding action" In other words they do not see an urgency. Personally I am far from happy with this.
I also need to explain that we do not have ACAS, along with quite a few other types, and are flying in TMAs (Class A and D) where I have had this instruction at least 3 times so far this year. ATC tone in my view was urgent, direct, very specific, and the same "avoiding" instructions to the other aircraft on 2 occasions. No mistaking the urgency as far as I was concerned. Only one captain responded as I expected (ex military)