PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 17th Sep 2009, 07:47
tocamak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like I said I know some guys flying long haul who they still fly a taildragger in their free time and I have to confess they are much much better pilots than me.
But on what yardstick are you measuring this enhanced ability? I find it difficult to believe that just because you fly a taildragger makes you better at the problems encountered in flying a 747 in challenging conditions. What I can see is that if you regularly practice manual flying or with reduced automation on your current type you will be better placed for the time it all goes away when you wouldn't want it to. Having just experienced my first winch launch I can accept that glider pilots are probably better at recovery from unusual attitudes!

an A310 losing its tail due to captain's overcontrol following entry to wake turbulence
It was actually an A 300 and the First Officer handling but that doesn't change the fact that many in the industry were ignorant of the fact that control reversals could overstress the flight control and that rudder limiters did not protect against this. Not sure if regular hand flying would have helped but rather knowledge of the problem and incorporating into the training programme. Also mentioned was the contrast between the 757 loss, the MD-11's crashing in windy conditions and the A 320 ditching. Rather controversial maybe but surely the latter was an exemplary demonstration of decision making and teamwork rather than pure handling skills. This is not to take anything away from Capt Sullenbergs skill as I rather imagine his ability is of an order above most of us but rather to contrast the different scenarios mentioned.