PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are engine failures always recoverable in helicopters?
Old 17th Sep 2009, 01:51
newfieboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here, here Busdriver, I totally agree. I also agree 100% with Shawn.You boys doing 100ft zero airspeed in R22, or any machine, setting yourself up to get bit in the Ass bigtime.We do them every 6 months recurency, cos we have to. Most of our work is in the dead mans curve. And thats in machines with a little more user freindly than a robbie.Mind you we all hate it, even when prepared. I got over 10,000 hours, aprox 85% of that over the Boreal Forest or Zero reference in the artic on longline moving drills, 4000lb pieces in the hover while the riggers set pieces, not a good place to be. But ya know what, I get paid good money to do it, also know the consequences if I lose an engine.Not gonna be good for sure,I accept it cos I minimize the risk everyturn by having a plan, maybe gotta take the big trees only option. you guys doing it in an R22 on Utube all fine and dandy, airport, taxiway, run on landings, yeah great. try an engine failure for real operationally, you;re on the ground before you even get to punch the load.I know, cos I been there. I know alot of guys over in Canada had one, some die some get hurt, no one I know walked away without a visit to the local ER . You guys think your cool posting that on Utube, right, we can all pull tricks at a nice big airport. Like I said, operationally in the real world, you likely gonna kill yourself. If you think you can get away with it cos you pulling stunts like that over an airport, light, with a place to go, and ready for it, forget it. Come on down to Canada, fly with an operational check pilot in the real world. Think you in for a big eye opener.