PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to Know Before Building a Hangar??
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2009, 00:43
ande159

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to Know Before Building a Hangar??

I'm considering building a hangar at a local private grass strip. The plot of land I'm considering buying is adjacent to the airport whcih allows "through the fence" access for a monthly fee.

I'd like the gallery's opinions on what to look out for or be aware of. The lot is 50' x 60' and there are covenants in place to make sure only hangars are built on it and the surrounding lots. There is a burried transformer across the (grass) taxi way on one side and a county water line on the other side.

I've got a couple of quotes for a 49' x 50' x 14' hangar with 45' x 12' doors in the mid $20,000 range. This includes the cost of delivery.

My main question is how much am I looking at to pay someone to erect this thing for me? Is putting together a metal hangar completely out of reach of your everyday handyman or is it feasible for a guy and some buddies to put it together themselves? What else should I be watching out for? Can anyone share any "if only I had know ___ before I built mine" stories?

Thanks,
Ande