PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2009, 17:05
Flaps15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 3 experience

I had my stage 3 recently so here is a short list of things that might come handy to somebody else. Sorry if this has been posted somewhere, I just thought a recent info might help.

1) Six participants per day.
2) The HR people say it is not a competition and that if everybody is fit, everybody passes. If you actually trust them in this, that's up to you.
3) First, there is the traffic game. There is a board with a plan of a city and each participant is given their own task - planning a bus route meeting certain conditions. When you are done, you have 1 minute to present your solution to the others. Then the group is given a common task which they have to incorporate whilst trying to keep as much of the individual routes as possible. Then the group is asked to evaluate how it went and if they succeeded. Each individual also must state how the big scenario screwed up his own route. Now the important thing: The HR's apparently do not care at all about your solution. They can hardly see the board from their positions, they make no notes about locations of the bus stops etc. The real trick is that the game is there just to introduce a situation where you must cooperate, communicate etc. Therefore you do not win this if you have the best bus route but if you do not behave like an idiot.
4) The interview - the HR people do not know a thing about ATC (or maybe some general popular knowledge at best). It is really hard to judge what exactly they are lookign for during the interview but be prepared that knowing the UK AIP by heart is not gonna win the game for you. You should be able to demonstrate some very general knowledge of the topic like that there are radars and various units servicing various sectors etc. Nobody's gonna ask you about pecularities of a PAR approach.
5) There is a list of areas the interview will be about. The interviewers are looking for real life examples of your behaviour in situations illustrating those personal traits. They want specific examples. Stuff like "this happens to me often and I generally do this..." is not right. What they wanted over and over again is a story like "I was doing X the other day and Y happened, so I did Z."
6) They have a list of questions they use to examine your story closely. They are especially - how did you feel about the situation, what was the outcome of the situation, what obstacles did you need to overcome. Be prepared to answer those.

And yeah - rumours only