PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sim Scenario For Upgrade
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2009, 15:50
PappyJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear First Officer Baro

assuming you have eng fire that does not go out and you have to make an autoland. just before ldg and below 200 feet without visual cues the autoland warning light(A320) comes on!!!
The general concensus has pretty much been covered with the previous posts. However, I'll give you a little something to think about that does not seem to have been covered thus far... (However, I've had a few Chivas, so consider all appropriately).

How did you end up in this spot? Was this a fire that began shortly after take-off, where a Take-Off alternate was required? If so, did the T/O alternate weather meet the requirements, and your own limits?

Or, did this happen enroute? If so, did you use some good common sense regarding Enroute Alternates (ETOPS or Non-ETOPS), or simply go "by the book" and ensure that they met the requirments of "suitable" without any regard for possible degradation of the weather conditions?

Or, was this a last minute fire, that occured during the approach, or occured past the ETP for your last enroute alternate?

The answer you post is irrelevent, so long as you have a solution for each of the above scenarios. Do you?

what you do? press on and land or go aound for another try?
Won't matter much, the result will likely be the same.

appreciate in input or info for upcoming upgrade to Cpt!
My first command was a Navajo, and the current command is a Heavy Wide-body. The entire time, two old adages have prevailed:

Use your superior judgment. That way, you won't have to use your superior ability, and

It takes only months to learn how to fly, but years to learn when not to!

Bottom line, be prepared! I don't really want to discourage you, but the simple fact of posting this question, indicates that you may not be ready.

With best regards.

(and too much Chivas)