PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beech A23-19 Musketeer facts anyone?
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2009, 15:20
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
My experience has been that an average example light of any make of light aircraft, will do about 10 % less than all book figures (cruise,climb,t/o distance etc). This is because the book figures were obtained in a brand new perfectly rigged aircraft flown by a test pilot with a million hours flying experience. I flew a 150 hp Be 23 ( it was called the Beechcraft "Sport" if I recall correctly) a few times, about 10 yrs ago. I remember it as having a very roomy and comfortable cabin with 2 doors and generally pleasant flying charcteristics. Since it has a powerfull all flying tail you did have to be carefull not to over controll in the flare. It is noticably bigger in every dimension than a PA 28 and has very sturdy construction which made the usefull load very low. I seem to remember it would carry just two people with very little baggage if you were full of fuel. It was , I thought also rather under powered as it did not have a great rate of climb and only cruised at about 100 kts. I later flew the 180 hp "Sundowner" model. This aircraft was only about 5 kts faster but the extra power gave it a good rate of climb and it had a decent usefull load.