PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Down on Melbourne Beach
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2009, 14:08
ReverseFlight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Torquetalk, I'm just glad that you are taking it as seriously and professionally as I am.

If the primary problem is low rrpm, I fully agree with you that rolling on (plus reducing collective, height permitting) is the corrective action. I can vouch for that - I have used this exact technique several times to save low rrpm in an R44 when it was hot, high, humid and heavy. From experience, I cannot trust the governor in an R44 to do its job properly when the job demands it.

If the LTE spin were the primary problem, then you must rid the spin before you fix rrpm, as the spin is very overpowering (it is in control, not you). I have only known two other pilots (apart from myself) who has experienced full-blown LTE and lived to fly another day (they were both instructors at my old FTO) and they couldn't stress enough the importance of rolling off throttle first. I have also practised LTE recoveries with them and you'd be surprised at how effectively the roll-off retards the spin.

Flying with the horn on is not for the faint-hearted in a Robbie. That's why Tim Tucker regularly flies with students at the RHC safety course deliberately at low rrpm with the horn blaring to instill in them that it's not a must-die situation and it is perfectly flyable for prolonged periods in that configuration.

Actually getting back rrpm back in a low-inertia MR is not as difficult as it sounds. It only takes 75-125 feet (Oz syllabus) or 100 feet (FAA syllabus) to establish autorotation with collective full down. Unfortunately because throttle had to be closed to stop the spin, we can't roll it back on until we gain some forward airspeed to keep our tail aft in flight. Once that happens, rolling on will no longer pose an LTE threat.

I apologise if I confused you with the auto. In lowering collective and rolling off you are going to loose some height and that is going to push air up the MR blades as in an auto, giving additional rotational force to the MR. However, while I agree the main method of restoring rrpm is the rolling back on of throttle, that is the last action in the entire sequence. The lady in the video had 2000' above the waters of Port Melbourne but of course the technique would be different at low levels (separate discussion warranted).

I did not say only Robbies have correlated throttles ; I just meant that due to the specific setup in a Robbie, the corrective action is type-specific and should not be used in another make of helicopter without further consulting the POH/maintenance manual.

But I totally agree that if low rrpm is the primary problem, we should not be discussing LTE at all !