PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot caught smelling of alcohol at LHR
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2009, 13:49
FlexibleResponse

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
May I be sarcastic and recommend before every flight that all Pilots get locked into a room and not released until they are fully examined by a team of sober professionals for the following;

* Zero limit in alcohol, afterall this substance lowers reaction times.
* A full drug test for every harmful illegal/legal substance that is known to affect ones performance. Mind altering substances (Psychoactive drugs), prescription drugs, stimulants and certain food substances. This list not being limited to opiates, crack, LSD, heroin, cocaine, dope, antihistamines, codines nicotine, MSG, aspartame, perfume etc.
* A doctor should conduct a full physical examination to ensure before departure that the pilots are in peak physical fitness. I suggest an ECG at minimum – we cannot have pilots dying from heart attacks on the sector.
* The tests should also evaluate reaction times, fatigue, tiredness, stress.
* A pre-flight simulator evaluation to verify that the pilots skills havent atrophied during the layover and the motorskills are still functioning.
* I suggest a tiny examination to ensure the pilots meet the required knowledge on the route they are conducting. I remember a flight landing on the wrong runway a while back. This would minimize the chances of the pilots getting lost.
* An engineer spokesperson could also ask a few questions to ensure the pilots know about the complex machine they are flying. This will help refresh the pilots memory on system knowledge of the aircraft - in case of equipment breakdown.
* A physcologist to establish the continuing sanity of the crew.
* A lawyer to confirm the pilots existing financial state and verify that no large insurance policies have been taken.
* A social worker to confirm the “home stress factor”. We cannot have pilots flying after the passing of a spouse, family member, a divorce, stolen vehicle, house burnt down, an argument etc.
* A religious advisor to verify that the pilots current religion will ensure a safe landing at destination.
* A dietician/lab technician to test the stomach contents for potential pathogens and contaminated food which could cause cramps and sudden incapacitation on a flight.

Now back to the thread. As a well informed individual, I do know that “Airline Transport” is relatively safe and that there have been ZERO accidents in this industry due to alcohol being the PRIMARY cause.
I think moonbug's post has come closest to the answer. Perhaps this could be extended to:

1. All train drivers.
2. All bus drivers.
3. All policemen carrying weapons.
4. All heavy equipment operators.
5. All air traffic controllers.
6. All security personnel.
7. All Magistrates and Judges and lawyers on duty.
8. All surgeons and assistant medical staff.
9. All doctors prescribing drugs.
10. All car drivers.
11. All pre-school teachers.

And everyone else that might potentially cause harm to any other member of the public by their authority, decision, presence or operation of any device in their control.

If there is no perceivable problem, you can bet that some politician or bureaucrat will invent a regulation to deflect attention away from the failures that are happening on his watch.

And we the stupid public will be drawn into his net and overlook the flaming obvious.