PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Lights in cloud - good or poor airmanship?
Old 16th Sep 2009, 08:11
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoa, Capn Bloggs, I meant no disrespect towards Tee Emm. I'm sure he is a cool dude whose stories, like how he misjudged closure rate to Bear-F on one moonless night over the North sea and had to barrel roll in order not to ram it from behind and yet keep him in sight, would blow many a sock off. Now if he wrote something along the lines "I've noticed that landing light timings on modern airliners somewhat don't conform to what I've been doing on Lightning", I guess he would get a sensible answer about "limitations of see-and-avoid technique, inability to maintain your night vision while flying over bright city lights, lack of significant light scatter in anything better than CAT1 RVR and that everyone & his dog nowanights carries C mode transponder". However he loaded his questions in a manner leaving little doubt that he considers everyone who follows SOP, and not what he was taught to do while fast-jetting around, a bit unairmanshippy. He comes across as quite tight, man. He really oghta chill-out more.

OTOH I'm not quite into SOP fetishist club and there's nothing in SOPs preventing me in applying a bit of sense now and then. If any of installed lights do cause distraction - they get switched off without much pondering or ceremony. Most of the time they don't.