PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leave Wootton Bassett alone
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2009, 06:48
Jabba_TG12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've not been there to any of the repatriations because I've got no business going there. I find myself saddened by the losses, but they're not mine directly. What the townsfolk are doing there though is something that shows that treating the fallen with respect and dignity is not a relic from a bygone age and that there is still a profound sense of decency and doing what is right in England. You just have to look more carefully for it these days.

As something that was started by the local branch of the Legion, I find it discomforting that those who have no direct connection (ie the media) should intrude on these (I cant think of a better word, sorry) events. Whilst yes, the population should be aware of what is going on and yes, they should realise that there is a real price being paid by real men and women who are serving, wouldnt it/shouldnt it be possible to exclude the media from the area around the route of the cortege through the village? A cordon at either end of the High St? Probably still have others turning up with cameraphones though...

Also, another thing that has struck me, whilst on that subject.. since the death of the Princess Of Wales, there seems to be a morbid, almost "tourist" kind of mentality pervading; I can understand maybe, current service personnel, particularly those who have been in the front line for Herrick and Telic turning up on the day thinking "there but for the grace of God", etc and paying their respects - but - I dont think that this is something the residents of the village would want. I dont think they ever figured that this would catch the imagination of the wider public.

The other thing is... Lyneham is going to close soon. What happens then to Royal Wootton Bassett? Is the same media circus going to descend on Brize? Would the people of Carterton feel the same way?

I dont think theres any easy answer and I think I understand the motivation of the person who suggested it. I'm sure his intentions were good and heartfelt.

But those of us not directly involved, I think should maybe keep our beaks out of how the village chooses to pay its respects. I'm just glad that it does and I admire them for it.