PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leave Wootton Bassett alone
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2009, 21:33
vernon99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the Armed Forces said thank you last year with a gathering of Musicians, and a small flypast, they even managed to provide some sunshine!
If the town was to be renamed, it would only be done because some politician can score brownie points from it. That is IMO distasteful and for that reason "I'm out".
As for the media attention, it is a blessing and a curse. It is good that they report what is happening, not a lot of people were aware of the numbers of dead soldiers. IMO deaths/repatriation stories should be 1st item on news, and not a "by the way" at the end.
The bad side, is the way the media try and take over the high street, I still don't understand why they can't send one film crew and share the footage(with a note saying so) Also whilst I appreciate the need to report/take photographs, I really do not like the fact that as everyone stands silent paying their respects as the cortage halts at the war memorial all you can hear is the shutters on dozens of cameras, as the paparazzi get their shots, again why not send one or two photographers and share the pictures.

Rant over.........