PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Leuchars Airshow Chaos??
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2009, 18:15
adewar1979

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We had a few problems getting in the base (traffic was backed up past the main P&R site on the south of the base) and someone in their infinite wisdom, decided that we couldn't use the crash gate at the Guardbridge side and directed us into the base just past the main gate, going past the medical centre and dentists on the way to the car park and making everyone park facing west (inland) in the car park on the main taxiway.

On the way out things didn't get much better, a solid line of cars formed and didn't move at all for at least 45 mins. Some chap thought that the plastic fencing used didn't mean anything and drove through it creating another stream of cars, which produced a couple of car parking people. They told us that they would open the road at the end of the runway (once the flying display finished) and get us out that way. Once we'd all figured out how to turn all the cars round, we were able to get out thanks to one chap who was directing traffic.

Once out of the base Edinburgh traffic was directed through the side roads down the East of Fife, which was fun. I think we were lucky as we were near the end of the runway and got out (fairly) quickly.

I suspect that when going in all traffic was directed to one car park at a time, creating a logjam and then trying to get the cars out of all the car parks onto the same roads we came in. It'd be interesting to see what the car figures are for previous years and how they compare.

On the park and ride front, I'd like to see the organisers hiring a special/extra trains to get people to the show, the car parks at Kirkcaldy and Markinch stations have been extended over the last few years, why not highlight this to people?