PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2009, 16:21
GordonPDavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Further browsing revealed that rather than 100, some 5000 German prisoner of war were aboard the Queen Mary together with Winston Churchill and the War Cabinet and ‘yours truly’. Just as well they didn't manage to take over.

Some years after my Coca Cola bombing exploits my feelings about the Germans changed dramatically. I married Doreen Reuter whose grandfather, Heinrich Reuter was born in Heidelberg. More years later, on holiday in Majorca, we became very friendly with a German couple, Herbert and Herta Rickmann who lived in Hamburg. A year later we spent two weeks with them in Hamburg and the following year they stayed with us in England. This carried on for a number of years until Herbert died.

Herbert served in the German navy, a gunner stationed ashore in Bremen. He told me the story of a Bristol Blenheim which regularly circled over Bremen. The Blenheim was probably on reconnaissance and never dropped bombs. In turn, the Germans never fired at the Blenheim and almost looked on it as a welcome visitor!

How times change!

Dave