PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Lights in cloud - good or poor airmanship?
Old 15th Sep 2009, 12:55
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Landing Lights in cloud - good or poor airmanship?

Back in another life I flew military types and landing lights (night only of course) were switched on at 200 feet to illuminate the landing area and turned off immediately the aircraft was airborne. Landing lights were installed for night flying only. Strobes if fitted were turned off in cloud. Mostly we took off and landed without landing lights to keep in practice for war zones. (I hasten to add I was never in one)

In retirement I live by choice (love watching aeroplanes) near an international airport and the skies are full of landing lights from 10,000 ft down day and night. Often at night these lights can be seen as a glow as the aircraft depart or arrive through cloud. I often wonder how these pilots are not distracted when flying through cloud with landing light reflections in their eyes. Certainly their night vision must be seriously compromised - or is that not a safety factor anymore?

While I understand it is common practice (and even a Regulation perhaps) for aircraft to have landing lights on below 10,000 ft, surely good airmanship would suggest these lights should be switched off while in cloud or poor visibility in order to avoid glare and distraction to the crew caused by the lights reflecting back off clouds?

Or is it a legal minefield because there is a rule that says landing lights must be switched on below 10.000 ft in climb and descent? Are SOP's that pedantic that good airmanship is no longer a desired factor in flying airliners - but strict adherence to the book is?