PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Root & Branch review of defence spending announced"
Old 15th Sep 2009, 12:55
Jabba_TG12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shouldnt laugh at the canned food and shotgun line, but... I couldn't help it.

What is left of the English have, to their shame, become too supine to revolt. Apart from the reconstituted Milwall hooligans who form the core of the English Defence League, and the BNP, who'se agenda is less than pure, who would do it? Let alone who could do it?

The services wouldn't anyway and couldn't, even if they wanted to. They dont have the numbers or the inspirational leadership. And I cant see it being part of Dannatt's retirement plans either...

Forget the semantics of the politics of it, think about it in terms of personalities... the UK does not have a Musharraf, a Khomeini, a Castro or a Guevara, not a Walensa, a Mandela or a even a Tsvangirai in its numbers. No-one who could inspire anyone to make the sacrifices necessary.

All that you'd end up with is unco-ordinated street rioting by dumbed down unemployable hoodies in the northern post-industrial wastelands that would easily be dealt with by the police and would serve no political purpose except as a lever for more surveillance and more erosion of civil liberties.

Plus, the police have been so heavily politicized that any attempt at insurrection would be sniffed out and snuffed out within 24 hours at best or at worst, consistently undermined and then wiped out within a week.

Those who could have inspired (and conspired?) and took part are all either way too old or too dead already.

Sorry.... its going to be down to the lumpen, dumbed down, X-box playing, Celeb worshipping proles to sort this one out and get some political savvy and start taking an interest in politics instead of the apathy that we have at the moment. It will take a minimum of at least a generation to turn that around. Nothing will change. It'll just be more of the same and future generations will be left to pick up the tab.

Lets just hope that our backs arent going to be against the wall in the meantime. As I've said before, if those who made the ultimate sacrifice in WW1 and WW2 could have forseen how things would turn out, I should imagine they would have had grave doubts as to whether it was worth it.