PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAf to Fill Airlift Gap with old BAe-146s??
Old 15th Sep 2009, 11:53
MaxReheat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Although there are probably not a lot of current RAF pilots that know much about them, the 146/RJ community has had a lot of ex service pilots at one time or another. (not necessarily ex service pilots, but ex servicemen that are ATPLs. My mob had a varied mix of ex RAF pilots of all roles, ex Navs, ex engineers, ex Navy folks and even some ex army). With airlines going bust and other making redundancies, you might be surprised how rapidly you could crew an initial batch of them. (Pure speculation I admit)'

Not speculation, I suggest. The introduction of the 146/RJ could be the prime candidate for the RAF's first flying reserve unit that could be manned without affecting the front-line manpower. There are many - I repeat - many ex service types from all backgrounds in the 146/RJ world. For in-theatre ops, lugging troops around arid environs, in and out of short strips, you'll find little better at the price. Several of the large civilian operators will be retiring RJs and that is a quantum leap over the 146. Great aeroplane in the main and you can do anything with it that a turboprop can do.