PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Purpose of boarding card 'check' at aircraft door
Old 15th Sep 2009, 10:30
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a fuss over a piece of paper which forms part of a standard operatig procedure for all UK carriers

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of SLF who feel they have the right to question the standard operating procedures of the carrier they choose to fly with usually because they cannot be bothered to either read or listen to instructions. It is usually the CC who get the butt of this on boarding and also during flight.

A boarding pass is just that. it gives you the right to board that particular flight. The clue is in the word boarding peeps and it is the CC who will board you. Most carriers will require you to produce this at the aircraft door and you are told this at the departure gate.

It is a requirement of the DFT and the CAA that every person airside has a valid reason to be there. This applies to aircrew and employees equally as well as the SLF. I have an airside pass which is valid for particular areas. If I try to board a plane within that area on which I am not operating I can expect to be challenged as to my reasons. The same applies to SLF who try to board a flight they are not meant to be on and it is the boarding pass who will alert us to this. Nobody is infallible and that includes everyone in the boarding process.

There has been a lot of explanations on this thread as to why boarding passes are checked by the CC.....most of which have official credibility. Lets look at a human reason.

A young boy runs away from home and manages to get himself not only to LGW but all the way through it!!! This includes check in, passport control, security, and the gate check. He was stopped on boarding by the CC.

I'm sure as a parent myself the parents of this young boy were very grateful that Monarch cabin crew check boarding passes.