PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What altitude will you fly after a missed visual approach?
Old 15th Sep 2009, 09:09
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not only the missed approach needs care.

Many aerodromes have noise requriements relating to the approach also. These usually are along the lines of not flying lower than an aircraft making a normal 3 degree approach, not joining final approach below xxxxx feet etc.

---------

9.G,

I never mentioned VFR (or IFR). If you read the performance requirements in EU-OPS you will see that the size of the area in which obstacles have to be cleared is reduced if the pilot can determine their track i.e. navigate visually.

In the case of the missed approach - if you decide to go-arround late i.e. below the DA / MDA, you have left the protected area of the approach procedure and it's associaled missed approach. You should still have the protection of the balked landing surface and other obstacle limitation surfaces in the vicinity of the aerodrome (or be aware of the obstacles !!) but starting a missed approach from 50ft and then having an engine failure (always alowed for in performance A) can mean that even if you flew the full ILS you will not be able to clear the obstacles in the published missed approach for that procedure.

You and your company should be prepared for such a situation.