PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking a job in WA, what are some of the cons
Old 15th Sep 2009, 07:54
the air up there

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mdt001, you can afford a house cleaner. Can't wait to get a job like yours.

Like the others have said, be wary of how they calculate hourly pay. MR time, Start up to shut down, sign on to sign off. If someone is paying $20hr to sit in the cockpit then thats a disgrace. There would have to be one hell of a benefits package.

I hear there are company's that are paying the basic pilots award (dayVFR single engine), but then charge an arm and a leg for rent/utilities. The pilots at one worked it out that they lost 1/3 of their wage back to the company. And that was during the pilot shortage, god help them now.

It also went the other way, pilots would ring up and ask for a job. After going through all the formalities of resume, phone interview etc they turn around and say I want this this and this, which was more than the CP got paid. Interview over.

So as everyone says, when they ask what will you work for, the answer is the award. Unless they have a good offer for you, free/cheap acc, cheap food, cheap utilities. That can add up to $12k+ pain the hand, $15k or more before tax. There is alot to be said for fringe benefits I reckon.