PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are engine failures always recoverable in helicopters?
Old 15th Sep 2009, 07:31
[email protected]

Received 681 Likes on 301 Posts
n5296s
And for myself, I presume that you are a patronising and pompous fool. Of course, in the nature of presumptions, either or both of us could be wrong, and in fact one of us definitely is.
Well, one of us has been flying helicopters for 27 years and 7000 hours and has seen most (not all) of the mistakes that can be made in a helicopter (of those 27 years, 20 have been as a QHI). As a Flight Safety Officer at various levels it has also been my job to point out where some of the pitfalls lie when operating helicopters. If all that makes me pompous and patronising but helps prevent those who think they know it all from killing themselves then I am pretty content with that.

You know that a max performance take-off puts you at more risk than a normal transition yet you choose to depart from a confined site when an airfield is available - why? To save time? Because it is easier and quicker? You are operating in a no-threat environment for pleasure but you choose the risky option over the safe one - I'll tell you what kills pilots the quickest - arrogance.

Flysafe