PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Root & Branch review of defence spending announced"
Old 15th Sep 2009, 02:39
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left the RAF on voluntary redundancy in 1995 - it is by far the best move I have ever made. I gave my heart and soul to it when I was in, but amazingly discovered a great world outside once I left. Since that time I have watched with ever-growing incredulity at the state of our armed forces. Alas, the people who run them have spent a huge amount of time and money ensuring there are enough homosexuals employed to keep Stonewall happy, but not enough ordinary folk to ensure we can effectively run a war. I have not the slightest doubt that 'root and branch' means in practice 'way less people and equipment'. Needless to say, once we have finally guaranteed we have smaller armed forces than the average African banana republic, the nation will be assured by whichever Prime Minister is in power at the time that of course we have sufficient defences to save our nation from all known aggressors. As long as the Argentinians do not try to invade the Falklands again, or the fire brigade does not go on strike over the winter, then I am sure he will be proven right.

Tragically, our armed services are now no more than a peope's militia - the main difference being that a people's militia would have more manpower. Take the money and run chaps - our nation is, alas, on its last legs, and one of those legs is about to be amputated above the knee.