PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Commands TOGA; A320 lands anyway
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2001, 13:16
Frederic

Cool

M14P, Adams, Haas 320,
Thank you for confirming the point I was making: Aircraft need systems to provide optimum performance, and limit protections, but the systems that provide them haven't been develloped enough. Don't forget the A320 was the first airliner to have full FBW. So the system is pretty new to airliners and the A320 technology is -relatively- old... On military aircraft FBW has been used since the early 70'ies! (F-15,F-16...) So it has been develloped to a much greater degree and so it currently works so well that there are almost no military aircraft left that are designed without it. The fact that the A320 has problems to atain the required angle of attack during the flare means there is a small (but not insignificant!) problem with normal law in AI aircraft. It does not mean that FBW is inherently defficient. Weigh of the advantages against the disadvantages and I would prefer to fly a protected aircraft any day. Give AI a chance to devellop and don't forget Boeing had to and still has to do the same with their aircraft.
Open your mind...

PS: Haas320: Normal law has converted into direct law by the time you flare (unless you start your flare above 100feet !?) Adams: I see your problem with needing so much aft stick in the flare, and I agree. The A320 artificially lowers the nose during the flare. this is because at first, pilots used to "overflare" the aircraft. Maybe AI has overdone it a bit. Good point. It doesn't feel natural to pull the stick that far back either.

By now you might have gathered that it is a great ambition of mine to go and work for AI to help devellop their FBW system ;-) . Still a long way away though.

[This message has been edited by Frederic (edited 10 June 2001).]