PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FI(R) rating
Thread: FI(R) rating
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2009, 21:25
brownbox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there

I am just a newly rated FI(R), an older guy but wise. Please do not go into instructing just 'cos you want the hours - go into it because you WANT to TEACH student pilots how to fly and get pleasure in passing on what you know to others who might benefit. I now know that only now am I truly learning to fly by trying to teach and set an example to others. Like the instructors that taught me they set such good examples that I actually aspired to be like them! I would like a job on the flight deck but do not expect the FI rating to get me there just by the hours.

I am lucky to instruct one saturday a week at my flying club, it's busy but I'm starting to like it. I'm totally out of my comfort zone and have difficulty remembering the lesson content but I know I will get better. I used to hang around the club on saturdays, maybe went flying or just sat around. Now I'm flying sometimes 5 hours plus and it's hard work!!!

I know it sounds a bit rich but if I wasn't getting paid I wouldn't do it. After all if we all offered any skills we had for nothing we devalue those skills.

Have a think!!!!

Good luck