PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2009, 19:27
Phil Latterly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's lots of outcomes as pilots we might wish for. Plenty of permutations that would have made sense last year, but now we are faced with today's reality.

Most (if not all) airlines are making an operating loss today.
Most (if not all) big ones are haemhorraging cash at one million/day.
Most did not top up their reserves with a profitable summer like they usually would have done. Most will have a worse winter, than the summer just past.

So which one has any cash left to take on another loss-making airline into their portfolio???

And if you work for one that might think about it, protest like mad quick because they're just spending the reserves that might otherwise protect your job by the end of the winter.

I think ROY HUDD might just be right: there is no value in a LHR slot for now; there is no one with any cash whose owner wants to lose more than he is already losing from his airline investments. Don't expect BA or VS to stump up money for the privilege. Nor EI, RYR, EZY, AF or KLM. They don't have spare cash and they won't be doing a rights issue for more.

I know the saying's as old as the hills and its boring but: "if you want to make a small fortune in aviation, start with a big one". It may be old but it's never more true than today.

I used to think big airlines were right collecting up smaller airlines like playing Monopoly - great to end up with all the blue and green set properties with hotels on all.

Lufthansa has just proved my theory wrong, and I don't think there are any other big players out there to contest it.

Hope I'm wrong though.