PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What altitude will you fly after a missed visual approach?
Old 14th Sep 2009, 16:41
bayete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think discussion about IAPs is maybe a moot point because there are many different ways that you may come to be flying a visual approach, ie breaking off from an ILS, joining downwind/crosswind/base or braking off overhead on an NDB etc.
At the end of the day common sense must prevail regardless of the ICAO/FAA rules and as we see here by this discussion they are not very clear.
Look at where you are, would I turn downwind at CCT height if going missed from 27 at Le Bourget? No Paris City to the left and CDG to the right! (Would I fly a visual App at Le Bourget probably not!)
In less congested airspace, on a nice day I certainly would fly a visual approach to save time/fuel etc. To ATC I might use the phrase "Confirm circuit height and direction in the event of a go around?" This gives them the opportunity to think about what they might want you to do in the event of a missed. 90% of the time they will say something like "maintain 1500' RH pattern" or similar.